Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Visiting Mom and Dads

We had not been to North Carolina for many years. We have been all meeting in Hilton Head instead. The kids have been begging to go to the "farm" the last couple of years. So one day, we loaded the car up with 4 kids, 3 adults, and 2 Golden Retrievers and headed to Pat Pat and Papas.
This is where I lived in Burlington, North Carolina. They have 13 acres with a barn and usually horses but they do not have any right now. The kids were bummed about that one.
Tommy getting in the spirit of being out in the country.
The last time the kids were there, Papa had the entire family room set up with all of his trains. They did some painting and new carpet recently so it was all taken down. Larson was not going to stand for that so the construction began almost immediately. Dad had no intentions of getting train tables set up as he is building a garage right now. However, with our surprise visit , plans changed.
It didnt take too long to get one track up and running. Larson was head engineer but certainly needed some training as there was trouble on the tracks quite often.
My sister and I stole a quote from Britney Spears when she was caught driving with her baby on her lap. Her response was, " I'm from the country, thats just what we do".
So we are from the country and this is what we do. Outdoor showering! Tommy is actually in the future bathroom that is under construction with Dads new garage.
Have I mentioned what a great time everyone is having including the dogs that are loving the freedom to run. Most of our time was spent outside. The best was just watching the kids be kids and explore outside. They were so so happy. I could not have been happier as a Mom because electronics was the furthest thing from their minds!

Jackson with his cousin Sage

The kids would mention something that sounded like fun and ta daaa Papa would go get some supplies. How much fun was this for them to construct their own clubhouse. The kids want to know why we don't have a yard like this. Pat Pat came out with a pillow case and let them finish it off with a flag.
Even Logan thought that coloring on the walls was fun. Oh please do not let that carry over to the walls in my house!

Logan with Aunt Jackie. She just drove back from Canada from visiting Boydie and family there.

The tractor was a hit with everyone. I looked over and my Dad was letting Jackson drive off at full speed. I had to run to stop him. I don't know what he was thinking. Jackson was so close many times to throwing everyone out of the trailer. I got them under control and then I could relax more. Of course, Larson was bummed that he could not reach the pedals to drive himself. I stepped back in time and went to go do my normal chore of mowing the front pasture. Bathing suit on and just sit back and relax while getting something major accomplished. I really enjoyed that time out there alone.
Kids loved feeding the geese and one lonely black duck.
Logan was into all of Pat Pats things!

I love this picture.
Its like Armageddon coming up from the barn.

Of course, we had our breakfast trips to Biscuitville and lunch at Zacks hot dogs. Showed the kids my high school. The girls (and Tommy) went to go see The Proposal. What a cute Movie. The kids would hunt and try to find the barn cats.

We drove to Durham one night to go have dinner at PF Changs. Sometimes with boys I would rather just stay home and cook (which is one of my least favorite things to do). The boys just get crazy in restaurants sometimes and just drives me crazy. This night I lucked out and they let everyone enjoy their dinner. Thats everyone except Logan. Aunt Char and I took turns taking him out because we just haven't been able to tame him yet.
This trip to Mom and Dads was one of the best things that I have done for my kids recently. Of course it is time well spent with family but it just was more than that this time. There was peace and relaxation. I could just see how happy everyone was. I didn't hear the "I'm bored" and going crazy trying to be the kids 24 hour cruise director. This is what I feel life should be for them. This was the weekend of the simple life. Now I don't think that you will see us moving out to the country anytime soon. I have adapted to city life just fine but this was a trip for the memory books.
Thanks for having us Pat Pat and Papa.

No comments: