Sunday, August 19, 2012

Europe- Day 1



This was the plane that took me on one of my greatest vacations ever.
Dont get me wrong, I wish that my entire family had been with me but that will be another time.
I had never been away from my kids for this long.   Tom was staying home and taking care of the kids. That leaves mixed emotions but lets just talk about the good ones.  It was hard to comprehend what 11 days would feel like having no one to take care of but myself.  Sounds selfish but I decided to not feel that way but to enjoy every minute of this trip.
8 hours of reading, watching movies, sleeping was a great beginning on the flight from Atlanta to Rome.


The Westin Excelsior
Was pretty happy to see this hotel in my sights.
I arrived in Rome around 7:30 am  (that was really 3:30 pm to me)  I was pretty tired but my sister was flying in an hour later from Barcelona.  We had a PLAN.   Meet right outside of customs.  If it gets to be noon and we have not hooked up then meet at the hotel.  So I followed the PLAN.    I waited and waited, tried to keep awake with all my luggage.  No sister in sight!!!!!   I was very excited to see her and it just makes things easier to find your way in a new city with 2 of you.  However, at 11:45 I knew I was on my own.  (now we know that Rome airport has separate terminals with their own customs)
I exchanged some money and headed out of the airport.  Stopped to ask for a map and had someone circle the hotel on it for me.  With map in hand, (and large suitcase and backpack)  I knew I could do this.  At 12:00 I was sitting on a train to the centre city.  It took about 45 mins.  I got off at a very large station and found my way to the subway.  (lots of stairs in a subway-  my arms were getting a workout with with the luggage- note to self pack lighter next time)
I followed signs and asked one lady my direction on the subway.  Handled that all fine.  Walked a few more staircases-  This time all going up.  I was having a full on workout at this point.
With that, I popped up on a plaza in Centre City, Rome.  With the help of my map I headed up the road.  yes, UP the road with the luggage.  
It didnt matter,  my eyes were just taking it all in.  This coblestone street was lined with huge trees, beautiful buildings, outdoor restaurants.  The monks were greeting me from outside a church.  The American embassy was right in front of me.  So beautiful and at this moment, I knew Tom would have to come here.
Right around the corner was the hotel.  I made it in a little over 2 hours and not one wrong turn.  I was a sweaty mess but I was there.
I thought that was pretty good for never having been here before.
My adventure had started.
The hotel was incredible!
I went to the front desk to try and hook up with my sister.  I hear someone panicked calling my name.  I could tell right then she had been worried and upset.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!  I kept saying,  you didnt have faith in me that I could do this??
YOU DIDNT STICK TO THE PLAN!!!!!
At the airport she couldnt find me and she panicked a little and thought I took off for the hotel at 9 in the morning??  No the plan was not to leave airport until noon and you had to give me the 2 hour travel time.
All was good!!!

We considered a bus tour but walking was the way we choose.  Good choice and tons of exercise.
We both have a good sense of direction but I took the lead on this trip.
First stop Trevi Fountain.
Loved seeing the real one after pretending to be at it in Italy at EPCOT.
There were so many people though and the one side was under reconstruction.
It is pretty magnificent and huge.  I can see why this is the worlds most famous fountain.





Just around the corner, we ran into this huge building.
The National Monument of Victor Emmanuel, first king of Italy.
It was built in the early 1900's which is soooo modern for Rome.  It is a building of much controversy and is not liked by the locals at all.
It does not fit in with the rest of Rome.
It was a mark of dominance of the state over religion.
Ruins were replaced by this and most think it is very ugly.
OK, I can see why the locals may not like it but it was so big and gorgeous.
The tomb of an unknown soldier from WWI is guarded non stop.




 Standing by ruins near Michelangelos Piaaza del Campidoglio.


This was the only time that Char and I got ripped off!
We learned a good lesson very quickly.
Yes,  I wanted to get my picture taken with this guy in a costume.  It would be a great picture for the blog.
I knew I would pay the guy but then he convinced my sister to get a picture and then after he tried to get 10 Euros from each of us.  He was getting very angry but guess what so was my sister.  He was messing with the wrong girl.
I got us out of there for 5 Euros each but better than that we didnt end up in jail for my sister killing the guy.
Maybe this was a good experience because the rest of the trip no one was going to mess with us and oh they try.  Never take help from anyone asking you if you need help.  All they want is your money.

Just around one corner and there was the Coliseum.
Its very hard to describe seeing all of these sights.  I felt like I was in a movie all day but I was actually experiencing the real thing.


Sorry but when there are only 2 of you traveling, there will be tons of dumb pictures of just one of us.  Its better than not having any pictures of yourself while here.


We did not have to wait long at all to get in.  Once in,  I just couldnt believe where I was standing.  This is one of the most amazing places that I can ever remember being.  It was like the history book was just coming to life.  We spent a lot of time here. 

original steps



There was a book called Rome Reconstructed where one page would be the original structure and then when you turn the page it shows the today picture.  I loved flipping back and forth to see what it did look like 2,000 years ago.
Amazing knowing the history and all that happened here and this is where I was standing today.

Right beside the Coliseum is The Roman Forum
The Arch of Septimius Severus

We walked around a little here but did not take the time to do any of the tours.


Every road was cobblestone and soooo beautiful.
Not only did I enjoy all of the history but I just loved walking on all of the streets.
 The Pantheon sits in the Piazza della Rotonda.
As all the buildings tons of history but this building is the most preserved out of all of them and has always been in use since construction days.


 Inside is a round dome with an oculus at the top that allows light in.
It was built as a temple to all the Gods but has been used by military and is now a Catholic church.



 I loved all of the piazzas but this one was my favorite.
Piazza Navona
Char took me to this one as the sun was setting.
It was full of tourist taking in the sights
Beautiful fountains at each end with buildings all around
Artists were set up, entertainers did shows, and musicians played Italian music.
Really felt like I was in a movie set.





 We had dinner at Piazza Navona
Loved sitting outside and just taking in all the sights around me.
This was my best meal maybe for the entire trip.
Fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and pizza.

After dinner we started heading back to the hotel.
On our way we went to the Spanish steps.  Apparently this is a popular place to hang out at night time. There were so many people you couldnt even see the steps.
From the top it was a beautiful sight of the night lights of Rome.

From here we were about 2 blocks from our hotel but I decided it would be great to see many more dark streets in Rome and walk about an extra 5 miles.  Yes, my sense of direction took a turn for the worse.  I did an horrible job of getting us back and a few helpers that did not give very helpful directions.
We made it back and actually enjoyed walking off that dinner.
I can not believe all that I did one day in Rome.
If that was all I did, the flight would have been worth it.
Luckily, there was so much more in store for us.

No comments: