Saturday, February 21, 2009

2-15-09 26.2 4:23

Buddy's Marathon
This is how it goes:

Have a crazy desire to run long distances. Doing it with a good friend makes it better. Over the last 4 months we ran 450 miles. Wake up at 4:00, nurse a baby. Get dressed and get your number on. Walk out the door at 5:30 and see a sign from Jessica cheering me on!

Pre-race jitters with Jessica and Theresa. Tom and Kelly, our support team were on bikes and ready to tackle the 26 mile course.

This is the day that you wait for and the run is actually very fun. Jessica and Theresa had a faster pace than I wanted so I dropped back at mile 10. We continued to pass one another the rest of the race.
Have a great brother in law who is willing to come jump in the race at mile 17 with me. He truly saved me on this one because miles 20-23 were a little tough for me. He was awesome and really made me stick it out!!! Tom was beside me alot which was so great but he was on a bike and not use to riding that much. Around mile 23 I looked over and asked if he was OK??!! We had alot of fun together on the race course. I finished off the last 23-26.2 pretty strong and it always feels so good to cross the finish line.

At the finish line with friends, family and one very cool medal.

Theresa, Jessica, and Buddy showered and celebrating together. What a great day. Marathons are so addicting and we are already talking about which one it next.
Thanks to Tom, my kids, and Jessica for helping me through training!
The saying goes: Running, Its Cheaper Than Therapy!

6 comments:

Kellie said...

Way to go! I'm totally impressed.

Hildie said...

Good job! That's so awesome. One time I ran to the mailbox.

Kelly said...

Congratulations, Buddy! I'm SO proud of you! Way to go for your awesome support team too, your lovely friends Jessica and Theresa, and Tom and his brother!

Conni said...

AWESOME! You are amazing! Just saw these pictures, how do you do it? 26 miles of straight running?? I can't imagine! You are my inspiration! I'm calling you after preschool today. :)

The Hansen Family said...

You're a crazy sadistic freak with all that running! My big accomplishment for today--catching up on my blogging...

Again, great job and glad you love it!

It's Been a Day! said...

congrats buddy. I really am so impressed with your running skills. I'm sure it wasn't easy. I don't think there is a 5 mile stretch in austin that is straight so I can only imagine that 26 miles was up and down hill which is so challenging. So, way to go! You are an inspiration to us all!!