Monday, February 4, 2008

Logans arrival


As always, I did all that I could do the week leading up to the delivery to be prepared as possible. I had Aunt Char flying in and Uncle Chris had to cancel a ski trip to be here. Unfortunately Jordan got sick on Wednesday and that kind of changed plans a little. Our biggest concern for her was that she needed to make it to the Hannah Montanna concert. (By the way, she made it there and loved it!)

Tom and I were all set to leave for the hospital at 6am. About 2 am I was up and knew that I had a high fever. (Thank you Jordan) We got checked in and Char was getting all of the kids ready for school. Things were not normal like the other deliveries from the beginning. They could not get my IV's to go in my hands. The nurse kept busting the veins. The anesthesiologist was trying and then my dr. came in and did an old army trick of putting on the blood pressure cuff and cutting off the circulation to my hand. They all were kind of fighting about who was doing what right and I was just there trying to be the good patient.

Next, was the epidural, and that was so painful this time unlike the others. I had horrible back pain to go with that for the next 7 days. Then 11am came and went (Dr. thought baby would be here by then) 12:00, 1:00, 2:00 Buddy got oxygen at this point and Logan had a heart monitor attched to his head. Not becuase he was in distress but that he was "getting tired" I was getting tired and clostrophopic with the mask on and my fever started to go up and the shakes came.

Anyway, Logan made his arrival with one push at 4:30pm. It was a boy and I think that I was totally shocked. I just kept thinking I am a mother of 3 boys and I am so thankful that the first one was a girl. I delivered with a temp of 105 and not feeling so great.
Uncle Chris did a great job being in the delivery room. It was Aunt Char that at the last second told me she might get queasy. All was well and the cameras started flashing from all directions.
Uncle Chris and Aunt Char went to go get the kids. They did not want to know boy or girl until they got there. Larson just started squealing "he is soooo cute, he is sooo cute" Jordan may have been in shock over another brother and Jackson just looked amazed.









The 6 of us
Our completed Family!
Well, our 4th has been the hardest recovery out of them all. Baby Logan has rocked the Roberts household over the last week. I was really sick in the hospital and had it still when coming home. On Sunday the pediatrician detected a heart murmer and had the cardiologist in with us. This added just a little stress for me. It was all precautionary and everything was cleared at the cardiologist office the next day. Tom kept saying it was a good thing we were not first time parents to see your little guy all hooked up and screaming his head off. I could feel the weight of the world off my shoulders when the Dr. said all was normal.
The next challenge: breast feeding. I could have never imagined that after nursing 3 children easily that you would have one that can not nurse. He lost over a pound and Buddy was off to see a Lactation consultant for the first time ever. Like, I said nothing has been normal with this one. We were put on a strenous schedule of syringe feeding every two hours. This was not my idea of how I would be spending the first week with our newborn. Thanks to everyone that has brought in meals and to Tom who has taken many days off work becuase I just did not have the time with the other kids. The good news, as of today with my lactation nurse, Logan is back to birth weight and is latching on way better than 5 days ago.
Yes, every person in our family has had a meltdown this week and I have felt like I failed at #4 but everyone is putting their best foot forward and I can tell that things are turning around for us.
I look at Logan as a miracle. There were many times when I never thought that it was meant to be but he is here and we love him so much. I am so thankful to Heavenly Father for sending this blessing to us.

2 comments:

Conni said...

buddy, this is such a great post. It touched me. I just think of how wonderful family is, and how everything we do and endure for our families is what matters most. You are both doing great, considering all the complications involved. He's darling just like your other 3. Congratulations on the final four!

The Kane Family said...

Buddy - even though I knew the baby story, it was such an awesome post. You are a strong girl, an awesome mom and a best friend. Can't wait to meet Mr. Logan!!!

xoxoxox

Caroline