Friday, November 20, 2009

San Antonio Marathon

My kids posters and the medal are pretty good rewards!



This is how serious Chris was about his half marathon! Can you believe free beer on the marathon course? Maybe that is just a Texas thing.
This made me laugh anyway!

Action shots taken from their pictures.
I have no idea what mile I was at here.

I do know this was the finish line. Was pretty darn happy to see this one.

When I got home, They were holding this sign up for me to run through. (I taped back together)

I am sure that Larson got the idea from his football game.


This is Jacksons sign. He has me out running other people so I can get the penny on the road.


This is'nt my best tale to tell but here it goes:

Thought San Antonio would be cool to do since it was not far away. Lost my running partner half way through training due to her having foot surgery. Training for this one consisted between the hours of 3am and 6am. No accountability for exhaustion. The show must go on when you have a household to take care of.

Jordan ended up having Regional Choir this weekend so that caused me to drive to San Ann for packet and then back to Austin. Did not get to leave Austin until after her choir and arrived at 9:30pm night before race. No one ever sleeps well the night of a race.

Chris (he was there with me but running the half marathon) and I are ready to get to the start line and figure out that it was much further than the hotel had posted. We actually ran 2 miles to the start. (this is usually what happens when you get Chris and myself together) People were laughing at us as we were running just to get there.

Make note, I logged in 28.2 miles for the day.

We got there just in time but I was already tired and sweaty.

So I do my best to run this one with an outcome of finishing but not wanting to discuss my time. I will just say, worst ever and my kids could have gotten in about 10 Spongebobs as they calculate time.

I had fun, was hurting a little, got in the car and drove home to my family. Didnt feel so great on Sunday afternoon and was thinking "WHAT AM I DOING?"

By Monday morning I was already thinking when and where is the next one???

Me at the finish!


3 comments:

Conni said...

Dont try and blame Tom's closet drinking habits on Chris. Don't you know there's nothing better than finishing a marathon with a cold beer! Only in TEXAS! Way to go Tom! You're inspiring me to do a marathon Buddy.
Chris

Chris Roberts said...

Still a great performance on your part Buddy! Had a lot of fun.
-Chris

Kelly said...

Nice job, Buddy! I cannot fathom being able to run even a half marathon. Those two extra miles you described to get to the race killed me. I felt your pain! But wow, your leg muscles look amazing and so much like a runner!

I think you will have to look hard to find marathons not on Sundays, but I'm pretty sure they're around. It's like that with triathlons too.

Good job, my friend!