Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Austin Marathon 2011



Tuesday before the marathon I didn't feel so good. By Wednesday I knew that I had the flu and this wasn't a 24 hour one. So it was not an easy week for me or my family. Every few hours I thought I would start feeling better. Hours kept coming and going and the marathon kept getting closer. The night before I really didn't know what I was doing. I slowly got my stuff ready and just thought I would wake up and go come what may.

This was a new way to run a marathon. I felt the same at mile 1 that I did at 26. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. Colby was so awesome and joined me at mile 21. It really makes a difference to have someone run you in with fresh legs. She even had me laughing some!


So, I finished the entire 26.2. I felt good about it since I wasn't sure if I would make it past mile one. Not my best time but that did not matter to me. It was hard to have 4 months of training to think I wouldn't cross the finish line. In the end I was happy with my decision to run.

I look in pain here and I'm really not. Just a bad picture moment.
Tom is and always has been my biggest cheerleader. (not sure he likes his name and cheerleader in the same sentence. He would prefer biggest supporter.)
Allot of people thought I was crazy but the night before he said he was behind me and we would just see how it goes. He knows me the best and probably thought it wouldn't help much to tell me its a dumb idea. Once he said he would be there helping me through, I knew I would be OK.

On the other hand, Chris Roberts runs a personal best!
I will never beat his time so I will just have to dominate him on the number of marathons we run.

I always come home to a sign the kids have made. Not too many more before I hope they are all out on the course cheering me on. That would be awesome.

Grampy was in town with Aunt Mary and they were able to go down to the lake and celebrate his marathon. Tom and I didnt join because we needed to get back to the kids. Me, well, I took my position back on the couch and waited another week to get rid of that flu.
I know someone who will be getting a flu shot next season!

No comments: